People in anxiety mode and nervous tension are normally inundated with negative thoughts, feelings and fantasies that trigger feelings of upset. There are techniques to help relax and curb the anxious feelings. Below are relaxing ideas to rid anxiety from any situations.
- Sitting quietly and engaging in a simple repetitive activity will be able to calm yourself down. Empty your mind to give yourself a rest. Focus on a small object or a personal object you like. It could be a daisy or a jewelry you like. Focus your attention towards it and inhale and exhale slowly and deeply for one or two minutes. Imagine its details in your mind. Do not let your mind be distracted by other thoughts and feelings. If your mind is distracted, return your attention to the object. At the end, you might be able to feel more peaceful or calmer.
- Choose a quiet corner and sit or lie in a comfortable position. If there is any zen music, you can listen to it as well. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Let your breathing to slow down and relax your body. Focus on your breathing. Feel your chest and abdomen moving in and out. Do not let your mind wander. If it wanders, then bring it back to your breathing. You can try to say ‘peace’ to yourself when you inhale and say ‘calm’ when you exhale. Repeat these words as you breathe in and out to help you concentrate. This will help you relax.
- You can also try to imagine yourself as a strong oak tree. Sitting in a comfortable position with your arms resting by your sides and then close your eyes and breathe deeply. You are a strong oak tree. Imagine your body is a solid, wide, brown, trunk of tree. The roots are coming out from your legs and penetrating the earth, anchoring you strongly. You are strong and solid and able to withstand any winds of stress. It will help you feel more confident and relax after doing this.
Anxiety and panic attacks are similar but there is a difference between them. The only main difference is that anxiety attacks last longer than panic attacks. These are the few common anxiety attack symptoms:
- Too fatigued or excess of energy
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Heart beat problems
- Jolting awake or waking up in the middle of the night
- Lack of appetite or taste
- Increase or decrease of body temperature
- Being in bad mood or depression
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Need to remind self to breath
- Have no confident in yourself and being insecure
There are ways to curb anxiety or prevent a full blown anxiety attacks. First of all, try changing our eating and drinking habits. Eat and drink in moderation. Anything in excess will trigger an imbalance in your body. Exercising regularly and give yourself proper rest in between. Being able to talk regarding anxiety and discuss with family and friends will help in the process of preventing anxiety. If family and friends are unable to help you, then seek professional help. Relaxation methods such as yoga and meditation do help in a long run as well. It balanced out the mind and keep your body healthy.
Anxiety is a group of feelings of worry, fear, nervousness, apprehension, restlessness or concern. It is normal to have feelings of anxiety to give alert for the flight or fight situation. In that kind of situation your heart will beat faster to supply blood to necessary organs to aid your flight or fight, your palm gets sweaty, your mind races. It served as a spark that helps to get things done in a busy or stressed situation.
However, if the anxiety gets out of control, it might give a sense of dread and fear for no reason. This kind of anxiety can disrupt a normal life.
The distress caused by anxiety will start a negative reaction in the body. The body’s internal balance or equilibrium is disturbed. This might lead to physical symptoms such as shortness of breath, muscle tension, trembling,headaches, dizziness, fast heartbeat, upset stomach, dry mouth and loss of sleep.
Emotional problems can also result from anxiety distress. These problems include depression, irritability, inability to concentrate, or other forms of worry. Anxiety might be harmful if people start to engage in compulsive use of substances or behaviors to relieve anxiety. It could be doing drugs, or drinking alcohol. Rather than relieving the anxiety, the body might rely on them to keep going and this caused the body to be trap in a vicious circle. This causes more problems instead.
It is common to hear people said they are nervous or scare before an important task. What they are feeling is anxiety. However, anxiety is much easier to manage than some people realize. There are ways to help cope with anxiety and below is a list of 7 easy steps:
- List it. Use a notepad and note down the things you are feeling anxious about. After putting down on paper, evaluate the things. After evaluation, you might come to the decision that it might not be so bad at all and you might be able to handle it.
- Prioritize. Are you trying to take on too much because you could not say no? Now this is the time why you should say no when you feel that you are taking too much. This is because your body is fatigued and not able to perform its best. So learn to take a certain number of tasks at one time and manage your time better.
- Staying positive. Repeat after yourself when you encounter anxious situation. A simple “you can do it” works wonders. This helps to boost confidence and relieved yourself from worst case scenario.
- Breath. Being stress or anxious will tensed up your body. Indirectly it also affects breathing. Controlled your breathing and make sure that you inhaled deeply instead of shallow breathing. Your mind will clear due to extra oxygen and you will be clearer of the way forward.
- Do some light exercises. Moving about instead of being stagnant in one place will help improve blood circulation and keep your mind clear. Try stretching or a simple aerobic exercise to get your heart pumping.
- Anxiety time. Some people will give themselves ten minutes to be anxious and then they will jump straight into work or study. This method actually works because you are letting off the steam. Once the anxiety is out of the system, the mind is able to focus on to the task.
- Relax. Take a break through some relaxing techniques such as meditation. Choose a simple meditation method that will tide you over whenever in great stress or anxiety. This will help put your mind at ease.
Anxiety happens to everyone. It could be before a performance, an important speech or presentation. It might also be in the waiting room waiting to go to see dentist for tooth extraction. You are feeling nervous, butterflies in your stomach and thoughts in a jumbled mess.
However, these are not anxiety attacks. It is just humane feelings. These are a few tips that might help you lower your anxiety level.
- Take deep breaths. Sometimes when in an anxious situation, you might not be breathing properly or just taking shallow breathing. Take 30 deep-into-belly breaths, you feel that your anxiety dissipate and feel a lot calmer. This is a simple method that can help bring negative emotions such as anger or anxiety.
- Be confident. Being uncertain of something causes anxiety. Having the confidence armed with knowledge will help bring certainty and portray a clear picture of the next probable situation. Research or Google before going into any important presentation or speech.
- Distract yourself. If you feel that you do not have enough time to do something that takes up a lot of time, why not take a break and watch a half an hour episode of a comedy show or a funny YouTube clip. It is a break from the anxiety and can help balance your mind out. If you have more time, called up a friend and have a conversation. Being connected will energize you and having a support pillar will be a comfort. Even better, go to gym or have a night out to get it out of your system.
- Have regular meals and keep yourself hydrated. It might seem not important but sometimes being in a rush for deadline will cause you to forget your meals and making you irritated, nervous or anxious. When you feel irritable or anxious, check the time. It might be just your low blood sugar and your body needs to feed. Being dehydrated also can cause migraine. So keep a water bottle by your side and take a sip regularly. It is also a good way to take a break.
- Prioritize. It is important to categorize the list of things you need to do. Put the most important task at the top of the list. Make sure you finish doing it. Then as you go along doing the task, you will not be thinking about how to finish all the tasks at one go. You will know that you are finishing your tasks step by step. The feeling of being able to cross out the list does feel extremely satisfying.
- Be positive. Being anxious is a negative emotion. Do not let the feeling overruled you or you might be in a deeper rut. Just think positively and let yourself immersed in work. Without you knowing, you would have one task down and you can proceed to another one.
- Keep yourself grounded. Do not try to overwhelm yourself with too much things at a single time. Anxiety is a fear of the future. Try to stay grounded and keep thinking in the present. Do not imagine unnecessary things that might be proven unfounded later. Just pay attention to the presence and what can be done in that time.
- Relax. it is important to be able to find ways to relax. A fine example would be practicing yoga or meditating. Pick up a few good tips that work for you and practice it whenever you feel anxious.